Apple has officially announced the second-generation iPhone SE, a smartphone that looks almost exactly like the iPhone 8.
The 2nd gen iPhone SE packs a 4.7-inch display, powerful A13 Bionic processor and still retains the Touch-ID equipped home button below the display. Built using aerospace-grade aluminium and glass, it features IP67 rating for dust and water resistance, meaning it can survive immersion in up to 1 metre for a duration of 30 minutes.
There’s only a single 12MP camera on the rear and a 7MP front-facing camera. It can record 4K videos at 60fps and slo-mo 1080p videos at up to 240fps. It is powered by a 1,821mAh battery and supports Qi-enabled wireless charging. There’s a sapphire crystal lens cover protecting the rear camera.
It comes with a 5W charger in the box, though it supports 18W fast charging, which ensures that the battery can charge up to 50 percent in just 30 minutes. Alas, there is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but it will come with Lightning headphones in the box.
Apple iPhone SE (2020) Specifications:
- 4.7-inch (1334 x 750 pixels) Retina HD True-tone IPS LCD Display, 625 nits brightness, 1400:1 contrast ratio
- 3GB RAM, A13 Bionic Processor, 8-core Neural Engine
- 64GB / 128GB / 256GB of storage
- 12MP Rear camera with flash, f/1.8 aperture, HDR, Portrait mode, 4K video, OIS
- 7MP Front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Portrait mode
- Touch ID Fingerprint reader
- Stereo speakers
- iOS 13
- IP67 Water and Dust Resistance
- Qi Wireless charging
- Gigabit-class 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 6, 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS, GLONASS
- 138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3 mm; 148 grams
It comes in three colour options: Red, Black and White. The iPhoneSE (2020) starts at $399 in the US, and £419 in the UK. Here’s the full pricing:
- iPhone SE (2020) 64GB: $399 / £419
- iPhone SE (2020) 128GB: $449 / £469
- iPhone SE (2020) 256GB: $549 / £569
While the company announced pre-order dates in the US and the UK, beginning from April 17, there’s no availability date for India at the moment.
Update: In India, the iPhone SE will be available starting at Rs. 42,500 via Apple Authorised resellers. It will go on sale via Flipkart starting from May 20. The 128GB variant of the iPhone SE is priced at Rs. 47,800, while the 256GB variant costs Rs. 58,300.